Guildhall Chambers has received record results in the latest edition of Chambers UK with 84 rankings in 10 different practice areas.
Chambers UK 2014 is an independent review of the UK’s legal services sector. Drawing on individual submissions and thousands of client references, the annual Chambers UK Bar Guide ranks the performance of the best barristers and sets working on all six circuits of the Bar of England and Wales.
As one of the highest performing UK sets, Guildhall achieved 20th position in the top 50 sets with the highest number of barrister rankings (compared to 26th in the 2013 edition) and featured in the top 50 sets with the highest proportion of barrister rankings overall.
Additional key highlights for Guildhall Chambers this year included:
- Band 1 rankings across 9 practice areas: Banking & Finance, Chancery, Clinical Negligence, Commercial Dispute Resolution, Company, Crime, Partnership, Personal Injury, Restructuring/Insolvency
- Barristers ranked as individuals in 9 additional practice areas: Administrative & Public Law, Agricultural & Rural Affairs, Costs Litigation, Environment, Health & Safety, Licensing, Professional Discipline, Professional Negligence and Real Estate Litigation
- Hugh Sims listed in the “Stars at the Bar” list for achieving rankings in 7 different practice areas
- Andrew Langdon QC, Richard Smith QC, Stephen Davies QC and Selena Plowden named as ‘Star Individuals’ within their respective practice areas
- Six ‘Up and Coming’ barristers: Simon Passfield, Holly Doyle, Gabriel Beeby, Oliver Moore, Sam Jones and Allan Roberts
As a set, Guildhall were described as:
‘“head and shoulders above the majority of its competitors in the regions.” It “provides London-quality in terms of clerking, client service and commercial awareness,” and is increasingly competing at the very top level.’
The clerking team were also identified as ‘“formidable at responding to queries, excellent at dealing with the courts over listing issues, and very good at prioritising and practically progressing matters.”’
Jeremy Sweetland, said: “I am extremely proud of Guildhall’s results and performance in the latest edition of Chambers UK. The editorial and rankings are testament not only to the calibre of barristers within Chambers, but also the strength of our client relationships and unwavering commitment to the highest standards of clerking. The results certainly reinforce our position as the “go-to” set for high level and complex instructions in the UK.”