Private Client Lawyer – Barcan+Kirby, Thornbury, Bristol
We are looking to grow our Private Client department and have exciting plans to build a team in our Thornbury office. As a result, we have an opening for an experienced Private Client Lawyer to head up this team and manage its expansion as a Team Leader.
The role will cover probate, trusts and later-life client work, including estate administration, Wills, tax planning and Lasting Powers of Attorney with team management responsibility. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right candidate to fast track into a senior leadership role.
Some of the duties you can expect to carry out include:
- All aspects of private client work including probate, estate administration, Wills, tax planning, LPAs and trusts
- Providing technical advice and support for the team
- Updating training for all fee earners
- Training of junior staff in conjunction with the Head of Department and other Team Leaders
- Giving expert advice tailored to each client’s needs
- The management and supervision of support services, including departmental Secretaries and Paralegals
- Participation in marketing and business development activities, whether on a firm-wide, departmental or office basis
- Financial control with particular regard to cash flow control through accurate time-recording, collection of monies on account and billing procedures
- Complying with CPD requirements and identifying specific training needs
- Ensuring compliance with SAR, SRA Code of Conduct and Lexcel rules and requirements
You will also have Team Leader responsibilities, including:
- The management of the office team and any related work in conjunction with the HoDs
- Attending monthly meetings with the HoDs and Team Leaders
- Chairing monthly team meetings
- Attending quarterly team departmental meetings
- HR team responsibilities for team members, e.g. 121s, return to work meetings and probation reviews
- Recruitment, in conjunction with any relevant work type coordinators and the HoDs
- Holiday management of the office team members in conjunction with the HODs
The ideal candidate
- Qualified Solicitor with five years’ + PQE or a FCILEx with experience and interest in Wills, LPAs and estate administration
- Experience in trust work and extensive knowledge in tax
- A STEP qualification, or willingness to study for it, would be desirable
- Experience of managing a team would be advantageous
Location and working hours
- This is a full-time role, but a flexible working pattern will be considered
- Working hours are 9am – 5.15pm, Monday to Friday
- You will be based at our Thornbury office, but with the option to apply for hybrid working upon successful completion of your probation
Barcan+Kirby is well known in the Bristol legal market both as a provider of excellent legal services for individuals and businesses, and as a progressive firm with an excellent reputation as an employer.
We pride ourselves on promoting the work/life balance of employees and promoting positive wellbeing and mental health is incredibly important to us. We were advocates for flexible working long before the Covid-19 pandemic, and we are fully supportive of hybrid working.
Our core values drive our culture and are at the heart of everything we do, and we are far from being a stuffy, rigid law firm.
We won Law Firm of the Year (up to 20 Partners) at the Bristol Law Society Awards 2021, 2019 and 2015.
- A minimum of 25 days’ holiday per year with the option to purchase additional holiday
- Employer pension contribution
- Death in service
- Discretionary bonus
- Access to the firm’s Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted legal services
- Flexible, hybrid and agile working including a flexible day
- Apprenticeship programmes, including an ILM management course