Mental Health and Wellbeing Resources
Bristol Law Society does not currently offer any mental health and wellbeing services for its members. We have listed below mental health and wellbeing services and resources and information that may be of interest to our members. If you have any information that you would like us to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and will share information that we think may be beneficial to our members.
Please note that the information shared is correct at the time of writing, but may be subject to change by the relevant organisations and we may not be made aware of such changes. Please note that by clicking any of the links you will be leaving this website. Bristol Law Society does not accept responsibility for the content of external websites.
Our Previous Events & Webinars:
- Bristol Law Society in association with Schroders Personal Wealth webinar on Financial Wellbeing
- Managing Stress in the Legal Profession- Bristol Law Society and Luke Menzies Coaching
- Bristol Law Society with Schroders-A Financial Plan: an essential foundation for financial wellbeing
- Bristol Law Society Managing the "New Normal" webinar
- Bristol Law Society - in MHAW 2021 - You are on mute! Lessons from Lockdown
Mental Health and Wellbeing Support
LawCare is the mental wellbeing charity for the legal profession. They offer free, confidential, emotional support, peer support, and resources to those working in the law in the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. They promote mental health and wellbeing best practice in legal workplaces and drive culture change in education, training and practice. They have been supporting legal professionals for over 25 years and understand life in the law.
Their support service offers a safe place to talk without judgement. They are here to listen, with helpline calls, emails and online chats answered in confidence by trained staff and volunteers who have first-hand experience of working in the law.
They are here to help all branches of the legal profession and our support spans the legal life from student to retirement.
Whether you’re a barrister feeling burnt out, a young trainee experiencing sexual harassment, an HR professional struggling with the workload, support staff worrying about a mistake you’ve made, a senior lawyer feeling like you’re being pushed out-we’re here to help.
LawCare won’t ask for your roll number or details of your workplace, you don’t have to give your name, and they are independent of professional bodies and regulators.
Did you know that all those at LawCare answering calls, emails and online chats have experience of working in the legal profession and are keen to support anyone going through a tough time. They’d rather people contacted LawCare early, when they just need to let off steam or talk through a situation; they want everyone to know that they don’t have to wait until things have escalated, LawCare are here anytime they need to talk.
You can also find resources here>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lvoqo88n3eboqm8/AABCOM_YV9m0CP8Sq7sQalMWa?dl=0
And sign up to their newsletters here>> https://lawcare.us14.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=ecb256d510a7cbb3d8d2dd001&id=258c8508c9
Solicitors Assistance Scheme
Solicitors Assistance Scheme provides free confidential help and advice for all solicitors in England and Wales, their families and employees, on any problem, whether personal or professional.
Solicitors Benevolent Association (SBA) – help for solicitors in serious financial need because of illness, accident, redundancy or other adversity (020 8675 6440).
Mental Health and Wellbeing Networks and Organisations
Mindfulness in Law Group (supported by LawCare and Law Society)
The Mindfulness In Law Group was created to serve as a resource for law professionals (and others working in the legal industry) to both learn and deepen mindfulness practice and to promote wellbeing and mindfulness education in the profession, supporting and advocating for best practice within the field.
The Mindfulness In Law Group holds regular mindfulness events for those working in the legal profession, introducing mindfulness to those who are looking for an opportunity to try it first-hand, as well as creating a space for those who are already familiar with benefits of mindfulness and want to continue their practice.
For the latest on their events and initiatives, you can sign up to their mailing list. https://lawcare.us14.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=ecb256d510a7cbb3d8d2dd001&id=01bfd81f31
You can also find out more about their events and initiatives on Instagram (@Mindfulnessinlaw), Twitter (@LawMindfulness) and LinkedIn.
Advancing Wellness in Law
Advancing Wellness in Law was created in 2020 by four legal academics with strong research interests in the areas of wellness, wellbeing, emotions and mental health in legal education and the legal profession. The aims are to promote further research, collaboration, dialogue and debate on these topics. Anyone with an interest in these is welcome to participate in the network.
Each month they host a live online digital conversation. For 2022/23 we have a fantastic line-up of speakers and topics. To receive an invitation to these, register to join the Network or email them at email@example.com
Other Links & Resources
- org.uk https://www.open.edu/openlearncreate/course/view.php?id=3476
- Mind – mental health charity. https://www.mind.org.uk/
- Samaritans – Charity providing 24-hour confidential emotional support to anyone in crisis. https://www.samaritans.org/
- Wellbeing in the Workplace training https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/workplace/wellbeing-workplace/
- NHS https://www.nhs.uk/every-mind-matters/mental-health-issues/stress/
- Law Society - Supporting wellbeing in the workplace: guidance for best practice https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topics/hr-and-people-management/supporting-wellbeing-in-the-workplace-guidance-for-best-practice
The organisations listed below are also recommended if you want to find out more about mindfulness:
- The Mindfulness Initiative: https://www.themindfulnessinitiative.org.uk/
- Mindful Workplace Community: https://www.mindfulworkplace.community/
- Mental Health Foundation/Be Mindful Online: https://www.bemindfulonline.com/
- UK Listing of Mindfulness Teachers: https://www.ukmindfulnessnetwork.co.uk/uk-listing/
- org: https://www.mindful.org/
Reports & Research:
- Barristers’ Working Lives/Wellbeing Research 2021 https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/uploads/assets/55b160bc-35c7-48a6-b105e68526019ca5/8a57305c-4c3e-46c9-af444c221354e2b7/Working-Lives-2021-wellbeing-analysis.pdf
- Leeds Law Society Webinar: mental wellbeing in the legal profession https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topics/hr-and-people-management/webinar-mental-wellbeing-in-the-legal-profession
- It’s time to talk: the wellbeing gap for Black, Asian and minority ethnic solicitors - https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topics/ethnic-minority-lawyers/the-wellbeing-gap-for-black-asian-and-minority-ethnic-solicitors