Bristol Law Society does not provide work-experience or internships, but we do help sign-post members to opportunities and help local firms to work together as they seek to remove barriers for those from a less privileged background and improve diversity and inclusion within their firms.
Law Society Social Mobility Ambassadors
The Law Society Social Mobility Ambassador Scheme promotes role models from non-traditional backgrounds who have achieved their ambitions and are willing to support their peers within the profession and prospective solicitors.
Bristol based, Karl Brown, now a partner at Clarke Willmott, became a Law Society Social Mobility Ambassador in 2016 and BLS ED&I Committee co-chair, Salma Maqsood, Partner at Barcan+Kirby, became a Law Society Social Mobility Ambassador in 2021.
Read about our Bristol Social Mobility Ambassadors here:
- Karl Brown
- Salma Maqsood
- In conversation with…..Karl Brown, Bristol Solicitor and Social Mobility Ambassador
- "I didn’t have connections to anyone who worked in law"
Early Careers Network
In 2022 the Bristol Legal community joined forces to collaborate on a shared goal: improving access to careers in the legal sector. So far, 15 firms have joined a new Early Careers Network with the aim of collaborating on projects designed to improve social mobility in the sector.
In the summer of 2022, a group of firms ran a week long insight week for Y10 pupils, designed to give them hands-on, real life experience of working in law. The firms welcomed students from Downend School, Mangotsfield School, Bradley Stoke Community School and Brimsham Green School.
Students spent time at VWV, Bevan Brittan LLP, Michelmores, Clarke Willmott, Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP and Foot Anstey LLP and also met with Ellen from The University of Law.
The week was a mixture of activities, legal exercises, employability and team building skills. Not only did students learn about a career in law, but also the array of other roles within the sector.
The ECN appeal is for other law firms to join them on this journey by collaborating on this hugely important mission. We must all take responsibility for inspiring the next generation in our sector and raise aspirations of young people in our communities.
Resources & Websites
- SRA – Social Mobility
- SRA Diversity Data tool
- Law Society Diversity Access Scheme - How you and your organisation can support the Diversity Access Scheme
- Law Society Social Mobility Ambassadors
- How to boost social mobility in your law firm
- TLS Webinar: Driving social mobility change in the profession
- Bridge Group: Pathways to partnership: challenging the myth of meritocracy
- Socio-economic diversity and inclusion: employers' toolkit
- Socio-economic diversity taskforce
- Social Mobility Commission
- Social Mobility Commission - Financial and professional services toolkit
- Social Mobility Foundation
- Social Mobility Business Partnership
- Aspiring Solicitors
- Social Mobility Network
- The 93% Club
We love collaborating with others. If you have any websites, resources or events you would like us to share or collaborate on please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.